Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cooking Sunday: Bean and Potato Gratin

I love cooking and learning new recipes but I never have the time to make complicated dishes.  When I get home from work, I just want the easist and fastest thing possible so I can sit and relax.  So I decided that every Sunday (especially now that football season is over) I'll make a brand new meal, chosen completely at random.  I simply open up my cook book and cook whatever is on the page (except if it's seafood...not only do I not really eat it, it also stinks up the apartment).

Today I made Bean and Potato Gratin, from How to Cook Everything.  It was delicious, but how could it not be? It's beans...and potatos, two delicious things. It was extremely easy to make except the cooking time was almost 2 hours!  All you need are potatos, cannellini beans, vegi stock, thyme, butter, salt and pepper.  Spread the beans seasoned with thyme at the bottom of a pyrex baking dish, then slice the potatoes thinly and layer them on top. Pour the stock over it and top with butter, salt, pepper and a little more thyme.  Bake it covered in the oven at 325 for 45 minutes then uncover it and bake for another 45 minutes. 

Even though it took so long to be done it was worth the wait.  It was the perfect lazy Sunday slightly hungover (oops) food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment