Monday, June 13, 2011

Mondays are for Food Shopping and Deep Thoughts

What's the worst advice you can get in life?  To me it's the line often spoken "Find what your passionate about and turn it into a career."  In our generation you hear this advice often.  Back when my dad was young the goal of a job was to provide for your family.  Liking it was just a bonus.  Now, we tell kids they need to find their passions, do what your best at, if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. Yes, all these things are true but I feel like they put enormous pressure on people.

When I first started working, I used to take a million tests online to find what I'm passionate about, what my career should be.  I used to get depressed at night because I was not good enough at anything. For a long time I didn't want to buy the dslr camera because I thought there was no point. I was never going to be a professional photographer so what was the point of learning? I stopped writing in a few of my past blogs because if they weren't going to get popular  there was no point in writing.  This is what society taught me. If you can't make your passion into a career, it's not worth pursuing.  Maybe not everyone takes it that way but I did. Sometimes it's hard for me not to think that way still.

Now, I've tried to shake those voices off of me.  Sure, I would love to wake up everyday excited to go to work. Everyone wants that...but I'm good at my job, and it pays the bills.  I get satisfaction from other things in life.  I love to go food shopping. Cooking a delicious meal is completely satisfying to me.  Do I need to be a chef? Absolutely not.  I love to watch tv and movies. I take pleasure in reading magazines on the couch.  Does it seem lazy? Maybe.  Does it make me happy? Yes. 

I don't ever want to feel the pressure to find my passion again. I have many passions...how do you pick just one? Also, just because they are passions doesn't mean I'm good at them.  I'm passionate about photography but I'm not great at it. I'm getting better.  And that's OK.  It makes me happy. Even if all my pictures turn out blurry, it makes me happy...and that's what matters most <3

No comments:

Post a Comment