Monday, January 24, 2011

Spin Spin Spin

I possess a profound appreciation for any girl brave enough to climb up and spin down a pole and be able to take their clothes off at the same time.  As I learned from experience today, pole dancing is hard.  Really hard.  And it's even harder to look sexy while doing it. 

A month or so ago I bought a Groupon for one intro to pole dancing class and one beginner climb and spin class at NY Pole Dancing (nypoledancing.com).  I originally signed up for Groupon for deals on craft classes or craft supplies.  What I found, however, is that the website is more beneficial for exercise classes.and/or packages.  I always wanted to try pole dancing because I always though spinning around on a pole looked like it was fun.  Another reason, I confess, is that I also want to feel sexy again.  Last year, I gained a few pounds (probably noticable only to me and my jeans) and started feeling really bad about myself.  I've since lost the weight thanks to a loyal gym membership but the confidence never came back.

Before the class I was nearly having a panic attack.  I do not like trying new things by myself.  I'm forcing myself to to gain more confidence and get myself out of my comfort zone but I really really hate it.   It's not that I panic about looking silly in class.  I panic about the moments leading up the class. Am I going to get lost? Where will I put my stuff? Is there a locker room? What should I wear? What if i'm the only one in the class?  If it sounds crazy...it's because it is. I calmed myself down and marched straight..up to the studio...about the size of my apartment.  Gotta love NY.  

The class was a lot of fun.  I didn't feel very sexy as I struggled to get up on the pole, but I was reassured that everyone in the class was as bad at me.  I am excellent at spinning though.  I resisted the urge to spin around on the subway pole on my way home.  Trying new things still makes you feel good and I'm proud I didn't back out of it just because I was by myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment