Monday, January 31, 2011

Poetry in Motion

More snow coming tomorrow...of course.  All it does is snow, snow, snow.  It makes me want to curl up on my couch, drink grocery store wine and eat day old chilli.  So that's what I did tonight.

I want to do at least one creative thing a day to get the juices flowing.  Also my job is especially not creative so I need something to keep the sanity sometimes.  My creative endeavor tonight is very very easy...it's a Haiku!  For those of you who don't know, a Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry consisting of 3 lines: The first line contains 5 syllables, the second line has 7 and the third line has 5.  Now I heard a rumor that they changed the rules of the Haiku so that it just needs to contain 17 syllables in any order..but I think that's crap. How do you just go and change ancient art forms? 

I decided to write a Haiku inspired by my new apartment.  Today I came home and a lightbulb in my kitchen went out.  I'm not tall enough to reach it even standing on my stepstool.  Now I'm afraid to turn on the lights for fear the other bulb is going to burst.  Then what am I going to do.  It's silly to call the landlord and say..um can you change my lightbulbs? Ridic.  They should provide everyone with a ladder if they are going to make the celings so tall.  Actually there is a ladder in the basement but it's so heavy, I can't get it up the stairs.  Anyway, as I was saying, I wrote a Haiku:

I feel all grown up
A housewife with no husband
My new apartment

Once I wrote the first one, the juices kept flowing.  So I wrote a second one, although this one is decidedly more depressing so I apologize in advance.

Loneliness is here
Happiness is all around
When will I find it?

That's all the poetry for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment