Thursday, January 20, 2011

Websites and Books for Inspiration

I took a walk through Barnes and Nobles today for some inspiration.  The bookstore is one of my favorite places on earth.  It's the reason I feel depressed every time I see someone with  Kindle.  Don't get me wrong, the gadgets are really cool and I completely understand their function.  Books are heavy, digital things are cool...but I can't bring myself to own one.  I love to be in a bookstore and pick up a book, browse through the pages and smell it before I buy it.  I can't browse through books on websites..even with the "see inside" feature. 

Anyway, enough with me feeling sorry for the state of future book stores. When I feel completely uninspired I like to go to the craft section of BN and browse through the display books.  Even if it's a craft I would never do like woodworking, the pictures are still inspiring.  Lately, I've noticed a trend towards inspiration journals and books., for example: 365: A Daily Craft Journal by Noah Scalin, Living Out Loud by Keri Smith, Be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith, etc.  Keri Smith actually has a lot of these inspirational journals out.  I don't own any of them, mostly because I can't justify spending money on the books right now on my budget, but they are really cool.  Here's a link to her Amazon author page (don't you love Amazon?): http://www.amazon.com/Keri-Smith/e/B001JRZIY6/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I also began to browse the interweb for some new blogs to look at. Some of my faves are listed below.  Full Disclosure:  I found these within the book 365: A Daily Craft Journal. Perhaps I will add these to the blog roll at side when I get time.

http://theokbb.tumblr.com/   This blog used to be called obsessive consumption, now it's moved to bigger and better things.  The author, Kate Bingaman Burt draws a picture everyday of something she bought that date and posts them here.

http://robotaday.com/   Exactly as it sounds.  The author makes a robot out of a pouch every day(ish).

http://daily-nail.blogspot.com/  This girl changes her nails to a new kick-ass design everyday.  I love this blog because when I was younger I was obsessed with putting designs on my nails.  I still do every once in a while but I'm so lazy about painting my nails most of the time.  Well..more impatient than lazy.  I hate waiting for them to dry. 

http://acollageaday.blogspot.com/  The artist creates a new collage everyday and sells them through the blog.  I love collage art but I mine never look as cool

I hope I can find some inspiration!  Tonight, however, I need to clean my apartment for company tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment